How To Clean A Keurig 2.0 In Just A Few Simple Steps
Your Keurig 2.0 Coffee Maker is your pride and joy. This life-changing appliance gives you your caffeine fix at the press of a button and keeps you replenished with delicious cups of coffee all through the day. You can simply pop in a K-cup pod into the machine to get your favorite coffee beverage, nothing can be simpler than using a Keurig 2.0.
In fact, the coffee machine is so hands off and fuss-free that often, we forget that the machine needs regular cleaning and maintenance to keep it spic-and-span. According to NSF International, a household coffee machine is probably the dirtiest appliance in any home and an average appliance has more than 50,000 germs per 10 sq. cm.
The coffee machine can have the growth of harmful bacteria, mold, yeast and also a build-up of minerals and oil that can affect the performance of your machine, not to mention, make your coffee very bad tasting and unsafe to drink.
So, if you think that your coffee is tasting off or you don’t remember when it was that you gave your Keurig 2.0 a good clean, then it may be time to roll up your sleeves and get cleaning. But if you don’t know where to start, in this article, we give you a simple step-by-step guide that will get your Keurig 2.0 clean and sparkling in no time, ensuring that it is working in peak condition at all times.
Cleaning Your Keurig 2.0
Over time, dust can collect on your Keurig 2.0 that must be cleaned and you can do this by unplugging the machine and removing the water chamber and drip tray. Then, wipe the machine using a clean, damp cloth. Finally, wipe it with a dry cloth.
The Lid, Tray and Funnel
Remove the lid of the machine, the funnel and the tray. Wash the tray and lid using soap and water and rinse properly. The funnel should be washed using only water. Make sure that all the components are dried properly and then replace them in the coffee maker.
The needle of the Keurig 2.0 is a very important component of the appliance and it is what turns the ground coffee into the brewed coffee. If the needles have any residue or the coffee grounds have clogged them, then you must clean them properly. The coffee needle is very delicate and so you must take care to clean it carefully.
The Keurig 2.0 needle can be cleaned by unplugging the machine and then removing the water tank. Removing the pack holder from the machine and then from its housing. Cleaning any residue of clogging on the needle using a paperclip and then rinsing it with clean water.
Cleaning the Needle with a Cleaning Tool
Unplug the Keurig 2.0 and remove the water chamber. Place the cleaning tool in the machine that has water and then pump the lid. Remove, rinse and store the cleaning tool. Rinse the Keurig 2.0 water and the machine is ready for use.
The K-Cup Holder
Unplug the machine, lift the handle and remove the holder. Using warm water and mild soap, wash the cup holder. Rinse with water and ensure that the soap is completely washed out. Allow the holder to dry properly and then replace it in the Keurig 2.0.
How Often Should You Clean Your Keurig 2.0?
It is a good idea to give your Keurig 2.0 a good cleaning once a month, which includes cleaning the exit needles, K-cup holder and the area around the K-cup holder. And, depending on the hardness of the water in the area where you live, you should descale the coffee maker once every 3 to 6 months. The water reservoir of the machine must be cleaned at least every week and it’s a good idea to rinse the reservoir quickly with clean water every morning before you fill it.
The moving parts of the Keurig 2.0 must be cleaned every week. Cleaning these parts is quite easy and you can follow these steps:
- Unplug the coffee machine and remove the lid, water reservoir, drip tray and cup holder.
- Using soap and water, wash the cup holder and tray.
- Clean the lid, water reservoir and filter using a damp cloth.
- Wash the lid and water reservoir and allow them to dry thoroughly.
- Using a damp sponge or cloth, clean the exterior of the Keurig 2.0.
- Put back all the components, plug the machine and get brewing.
The water filter cartridge of the Keurig 2.0 must be replaced every month. This will ensure that your coffee tastes fresh and delicious all the time. The filter cartridge can be replaced by following the steps below:
- Put a new cartridge in water and let it soak for around 5 minutes.
- Rinse it with clean water.
- The lower filter mesh must be washed thoroughly.
- Insert the filter cartridge into the filter holder and replace the lid.
- Place the filter holder into the water tank.
Once in 3-6 Months
You should descale your Keurig 2.0 once every 3-6 months because the water can cause a build up of scale in your machine, clogging it up. If you don’t descale your coffee machine, it will reduce the performance efficiency of the machine and over time, damage the appliance completely.
How to Descale Your Keurig 2.0
Before descaling your Keurig 2.0, remove the K-cups, cup holder, water reservoir and funnel from the machine. Turn off the auto-shut feature of the coffee machine because the Keurig 2.0 must be turned on during the entire descaling process. Next, we have discuss the different ways by which you can descale your Keurig 2.0.
Using Descaling Solution
You can use the Keurig Descaling Solution to clean your Keurig 2.0 by using the following steps:
- First, fill the water chamber of the Keurig 2.0 with half descaling solution and half water. Place a large-sized mug under the dispenser. Brew the water and collect it in the mug. Lift the handle, wait for a few seconds and lower it. Press the “brew” button and once the mug is filled empty it out.
- Repeat the process until all the water is over. When the coffee maker shows the “add water” sign, wait for 30 seconds, while keeping the machine on. This will clean all the clogged particles in the coffee machine. Wash the water tank thoroughly until there is no solution left and clean the machine using fresh, cool water.
- Repeat the brewing method to ensure that there is no solution left behind. Make sure to do this several times until the solution has been completely rinsed out. Your Keurig 2.0 has been descaled and is now ready to use.
Using Citric Acid
This is a simple method that works quite well to descale the coffee maker, using the following steps:
- Firstly, mix 2 tablespoons of citric acid in a liter of water and ensure that the citric acid is completely dissolved. Then, pour this solution into the water tank of the coffee maker and allow it to rest for a while. This will remove any line build-up or residue in the reservoir.
- Place a large-sized mug in the machine’s tray and brew a cup. This will ensure that any residue in the machine will dissolve and when the mug is filled, discard the liquid. Keep repeating the process until the coffee machine is cleaned properly. Next, fill the reservoir with fresh water and place it in the coffee machine.
- Flush the water out and repeat the process 2-3 times until there is no acid left. Brew a cup of hot water so that if there is any residue or citric acid left inside, it will get cleaned out. Brew a few cups until the water you get is completely clean. Clean the coffee machine with a cloth and you’re all set to brew your coffee.
Using Vinegar and Water
Vinegar is a great way to descale the Keurig 2.0. It is not only safe to use, but also quite cheap and breaks down the scale build up in the coffee machine effectively. However, you must ensure that the white vinegar you use is distilled because pure vinegar may be too strong and damage your machine. The steps to descale your coffee maker using vinegar and water include:
- Remove any water from the water tank of the coffee machine and any pods. Then, remove the various components of the machine, rinse with clean water and clean them. Using a damp cloth, wipe any dirt or residue properly and then, put back all the parts.
- Turn on the Keurig 2.0 and pour vinegar into the water tank until the maximum fill level. Place a mug in the machine’s tray, brew the vinegar and lift the handle. Select a long brew cycle and put the handle down. Start brewing and discard the brewed liquid.
- Repeat this step until there is no vinegar or residue left in the machine and the reservoir is clean. Fill the reservoir with filtered water and run for a few cycles so that there is no vinegar remaining. Now, the coffee maker is clean and ready for use.
A Keurig 2.0 can be a great accessory in your kitchen, especially if you’re a coffee lover. It is extremely simple to use, practical and easy to maintain. Nevertheless, keeping your Keurig 2.0 clean and well maintained is very important. It is very easy to clean and descale your Keurig 2.0 on your own. And, we hope that with our in-depth cleaning and descaling tips, you can get your coffee machine clean and sparkling in no time, so that you have a fantastic coffee drinking experience each time.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?